Thursday, May 1, 2014

Clean up

I'm lying in bed, attempting to sleep to see if my body's nervous system will reset itself. I just got a ride home from school from my friend Sarah and my neighbor Steve thoughtfully took out Orion for me so I luckily didn't have to do so when I got home. Orion was rather bored with the idea of me sleeping however, so he wasn't up for a snuggle.

Dozing in and out, I hear Orion working on the can of beans that had been empty since last week but which I put a smidge of peanut butter inside to keep him company. Slosh, slosh, slosh. Tongue licking sounds populate near my feet. I move my feet so he quits bumping them and irritating my system more.

Slosh, slosh, slosh; he moves the can of beans closer again. I move my feet.

Eventually I seem to doze partway out, then I wake to hearing him in the kitchen. What could possibly interest him in the kitchen, I think...

And then I realize. I set my school bag down when I came home today. My lunch satchel was in it. I wonder for a moment if there's really anything even worth getting? An orange? An apple? Clearly, I'm not going to try to move out there to get the bag so I just resolve not to sweat the small stuff and keep chilling out in bed.

He sticks his head around the corner. He has something in his mouth. I peer over. It's two of my string cheese sticks, still in the wrappers. I laugh, then open one and give it to him. Least this way he's not eating the plastic (like the two dead tupperware containers I later noticed) and I won't have to deal with hot cheese lost to the abyss of my bedroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment