Monday, June 4, 2012

one point five, two, she's down

Scene: My yard starts off flat then has a little slope to the sidewalk. A fence lines the border between my old apartment building and my new one.

Setting: 9:40 P.M. Summer evening. Just got back from a bbq. Cute skirt and flip flops, walk Orion out to go pee.

that is a huge dog, i think as i step out of the apartment and see a husky/shepard walking by. i slow, holding closely to the long leash i have orion on. i couldn't find his normal leash or his prong collar so i am aware i am at a disadvantage for control but we are just going for a pee break. the dog walks by, i begin to relax. I'm talking to my friend pam on the phone. Orion pees. out of the corner of my eye i see the big dog stop and i hear, "is your dog on a leash because my dog is aggressive." The man is talking to my old neighbor. no sooner is this connection made am i spun around, phone goes flying, my feet are lifted out below me and I'm down, being pulled down the incline, skirt over head. I reach out to grab something, I have to stop, I have to grab something or I won't stop, and my fingers find the fence.

"Are you ok?" guy with aggressive dog asks somehow across the street.

"No. I think i broke my arm."

"Well I'd like to help but if I come over my dog will attack," he replies.

"No, just go."

I get myself up, arm tucked to my ribs and pull Orion inside. I get him in the apartment, not even attempting to get him in his crate.

Returning outside, I search for my phone. "Pam? Pam sorry he flipped me. I think my arm's broken. It really hurts. I've gotta go find help."

I hang up and walk up to my old apartment building. "Ronnie, will you open the door, I think my arm is broken." The kid with Shaggy, the old-off-leash dog, hops up the stairs and opens the door. I knock on Zachary, my ten-year-old friend's door. I'm moving all over the hallway hoping to distract myself from the ongoing pain. Zachary opens the door.

"Zachary, is your mom home? I think i broke my arm and I need help. It hurts Zachary." I'm pacing now in the little carpet patch of the little apartment. Zachary's mom fashions a sling out of a curtain and gives me ice cubes. Zachary calls my roommate Jamie, "Um, hello Jamie? This is Zachary. Molly broke her arm and.." "Ask her if she can take me to the h hospital ..." I'm saying behind him. "And, um, she wants to know if you'll take her to the hospital." He hangs up, "ok. She said she'd do it."

We pile out the apartment. I ask Zachary to put Orion in his crate for me and to get my purse. I am thankful for the many hours he has spent with Orion and i that he knows our routine. Delmy stands with me out front as we stare down the street for Jamie's car to arrive.

In the car, I refuse to be buckled. "Just don't touch me right now," I say as each bump in the road makes me suck in breath. I am never more aware of the way breathing lifts my ribcage and how much I wish i had more padding to my ribs. Jamie is on her A-game, looking up directions to the hospital and making the executive decision where to go and the highway over back roads. We get to the ER and we wait. I stand because the thought of sitting is not to be considered. We get asked questions, "was this the result of an accident?" There is grass still on my tank top. We file back to a room. I walk as even as I can and fill Jamie in on my medical history.

"Do you want me to call your mother?" "No she has company over and is watching a movie. It won't make a difference if i tell her now or tomorrow."

I stand by the bed.

A lady comes by and leads me to x-ray. She asks me to rotate my arm to get different angles. This is horrible. Tears are streaming down my face as my jaw is clenched. "How would you rate your pain on a 10 scale?" she asks. "10. At least 10 for what i have experienced so far in my life."

Back in the room I tell Jamie I don't care if I hate needles I will take a huge one if it has pain meds. Eventually they come with pain meds and I watch my sheets start to move.

"You know how I always say I'm not likely to stay friends with you when I move? This is it. I'll be your friend forever cause you're here with me."

She laughs and we decide she should try and do some work while we wait for the dr as she has a big presentation in the morning. I watch the posters move. I think about how i told the nurse i get drunk easy and caffeine sincerely affects me as a disclaimer before the meds. Then the nurses show up. They rotate my arm to splint it and I don't care about moving sheets and posters it still hurts...then the doctor and, "It's a clean break, so you probably won't need surgery.." then McDonalds, 24 hour pharmacy and home.

1, 2, 3 she's down. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment